Certified Histology Technologist - Full Time, 1st shift
Company: Huntsville Hospital
Posted on: January 25, 2023
Provides technical support to the Pathologists and guidance to the
Histology department by:
performing high volume, repetitive procedures in anatomical
pathology; receives specimens and
requisition; maintains and operates highly technical automated
instrumentation; responds to
phone/verbal requests by the Pathologists according to standard
operating procedures and
performs clerical/computer duties as required. As required,
performs transcription and other
related duties that are necessary for the accuracy and completeness
of the patient's Pathology
/Autopsy reports. Performs secretarial responsibilities and other
duties as required by Lab
Management and the Pathologists to carry out the hospital's
Demonstrates through behavior Decatur Morgan Hospital's mission,
vision and values.
Key Responsibilities / Essential Functions
A. Performs, with proficiency, medical laboratory tests, procedures
and analyses to provide data for diagnosis, treatment and
prevention of disease.
1. Demonstrates acceptable understanding of established policies
and procedures within the department as outlined in the procedure
manuals and performs the procedures accurately and precisely. Takes
responsibility for procedure manual updates.
2. Demonstrates competency in performing the appropriate type and
complexity of the laboratory services provided by Decatur General
Lab. Provides technical direction and oversight to Histology
Specialists as required.
3. Receives specimens and verifies accurate identification and
acceptability of samples. Maintains accurate and legible specimen
accession log. Labels cassettes with appropriate accession number
legibly and accurately. Processes cassettes in tissue processor at
designated times and following established procedure.
4. Practices infection control procedures for protection of self,
patients and others. Adheres to laboratory polices regarding
safety, i.e., policies governing personal protection equipment and
engineering controls and disposal of contaminated equipment.
5. Performs daily and routine maintenance as required and notes any
corrective action taken or problems encountered. Documents any
unscheduled maintenance and notifies supervisor about it
6. Accurately embeds specimens in appropriate embedding media and
orients each specimen according to established procedure. Using
microtone, correctly cuts blocks and prepares slides according to
7. Logs reagents as they are received and opened. Discards reagents
and supplies at expiration dates and notifies supervisor. Rotates
stock routinely to minimize waste. Insures work area is
well-stocked; notifies appropriate person when inventory levels are
8. Keeps work area clean, neat and disinfected daily.
9. Performs all required staining procedures accurately including
required quality control. Evaluates stains for appropriate
reactions. Correctly mounts stained slides using appropriate
10. Labels all slides in accurate and legible manner.
11. Prepares reagents, stains, fixatives, etc., according to
written protocols. Files and retrieves slide/blocks as needed.
12. Verifies that the proper specimen is being analyzed for the
proper patient and for the indicated test procedures. Judges the
adequacy of submitted specimens.
13. Regularly demonstrates the ability to coordinate a simultaneous
series of tests with accuracy and demonstrates the flexibility to
adjust schedule in response to Stat orders and fluctuations in
patient workload. Organizes work so that procedures are performed
within established turnaround times
14. Applies knowledge of medical terminology, anatomy and
physiology and English language rules to transcription. Clarifies
diction that is unclear or incomplete, seeking assistance as
needed. Accurately compiles data for QI reports in a timely manner.
Assist pathologists in the preparation for Tumor Conference and
15. Demonstrates the ability to assess a situation, consider
alternatives and choose an appropriate course of action.
16. Mails, receives and tracks all consultation documents as
17. Is proficient in all of the computer functions in the Meditech
LIS and HIS necessary for performing the duties of a Histotech.
18. Recognizes and immediately reports any computer malfunction to
supervisory personnel or follows the established protocol for
reporting and troubleshooting computer problems.
19. Charges and/or credits procedures as needed.
20. Strives to remain current with technology of the job and the
profession by undergoing retraining, in-services, continuing
education programs and independent reading and learning
21. Participates in training new employees
B. Follows required regulatory guidelines and acceptable
22. Follows CAP and other regulatory guidelines governing
acceptable practice and protocol for laboratory practices
23. Is aware of Patient Safety Goals and strives to meet them
Minimum Knowledge, Skills, Experience Required:
Graduate of approved Histotech program with HT or HTL (ASCP)
registry certification. Skills
learned must include knowledge of anatomic, physiologic,
pathological procedures and medical
terminology. Above average typing and computer skills desired
Experience in histopathology, under the supervision of a
pathologist, preferred. Experience with
dictating machines, computer, and word processing programs (prior
medical transcription /
secretarial experience) is desired.
Keywords: Huntsville Hospital, Decatur , Certified Histology Technologist - Full Time, 1st shift, Other , Decatur, Alabama
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!