Head of Resource Description
Company: Emory University
Posted on: October 12, 2019
The employer is from Education sector.
- Manages the Resource Description Team, with programmatic
responsibility for functional areas and direct supervision of 9
- Provides strategic and innovative leadership of database
services by proposing, implementing and monitoring contractual
vendor services that expedite processing and offer rapid delivery
of information resources accurately indexed and described in the
Libraries' discovery systems.
- Lead change in the transition from MARC 21 to the emerging
linked data model for resource access and description by
implementing and integrating metadata practices and developing
staff expertise in areas that provide new modes of discovery and
access to digitized content along with traditional content
- Develop and maintain expertise on the most recent developments
in web-based technologies, such as Linked Open Data, social
engagement techniques, and cloud-based metadata services. Lead
crowdsourcing initiatives for resource description, as
- Works with direct reports to coordinate recruitment, hiring,
orientation, training, supervision, and evaluation of staff and
student employees. Coaches, mentors, and counsels both direct and
indirect reports in order to develop staff in a positive and
proactive manner ensuring individuals have opportunity to develop
broad knowledge of library operations and services as well
specialized skills. Works with LITS Human Resources staff to
develop specific training for staff based on need and participates
in succession planning and management initiatives as
- Responsible for developing and maintaining up-to-date librarian
position responsibilities statements and library staff job
descriptions for staff within team. Reviews requests for new
positions and reclassifications and submits to Assistant Director,
Resource Management for consideration.-- Works with HR staff to
- Conducts annual performance evaluations for direct reports and
oversees annual process within the team/unit ensuring that annual
evaluations are conducted in a timely manner and submitted on time
in accordance with campus and library policy.
- Establishes and maintains communication with team/unit staff to
facilitate the work of the library and ensure library staff is
informed of library activities and initiatives.
- ALA-accredited master's degree in Library and Information
Science OR equivalent education and experience (subject expertise
combined with appropriate teaching experience and/or library
- Ability to build and sustain effective interpersonal
relationships with library staff, faculty and students, off campus
faculty and administrators, campus administrators, etc.
- Experience and demonstrated skill in supervision, including
hiring, orienting, training and development, organizing workloads,
delegating responsibility, providing guidance and direction,
monitoring and evaluating performance, coaching and counseling, and
taking disciplinary action as necessary. Ability to be proactive,
flexible, and collaborative as a supervisor in order to accomplish
departmental, library, and institutional goals.--
- Evidence of analytical, organizational, communication, project,
and time management skills and demonstrated ability to set
priorities, meet deadlines, and complete tasks and projects on time
and within budget and in accordance with task/project
- Professional understanding and knowledge of cataloging
procedures and principles, including but not limited to: LC
BIBFRAME, RDA, AACR2, LC/PCC PS, LCRIs, LC classification, LCSH,
MARC21 bibliographic and authority formats.
- Demonstrated proficiency and capabilities with personal
computers and software, the Web, and library-relevant information
technology applications. Working knowledge of standard computer
office applications such as Microsoft Outlook, Word, Excel, Access,
PowerPoint or other productivity software.
- Commitment to fostering a diverse educational environment and
workplace and an ability to work effectively with a diverse faculty
and student population.
- Capacity to thrive in an ambiguous, future-oriented environment
of a major research institution and to respond effectively to
changing needs and priorities.
- Demonstrated knowledge of current trends and issues in academic
libraries, higher education, and relevant subject disciplines.
- Evidence of active participation, involvement, and leadership
in local, state, regional, national, or international professional
or scholarly associations.--
Keywords: Emory University, Decatur , Head of Resource Description, Other , Decatur, Alabama
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!