Material Handler/ Driver
Company: Irby Electric Supply
Posted on: January 12, 2020
Irby is one of the ten largest electrical distribution companies in
the United States, with over $1 Billion in annual sales and over
900 employees across more than 60 branches in 25 states. Irby has
experienced incredible growth over the past 5 years. This presents
many outstanding career & development opportunities throughout the
country in various locations, including cities such as: Jackson,
Dallas/Ft. Worth, Orlando, Syracuse, Nashville, Denver, Minneapolis
and Oklahoma City.
Irby was a pioneer in the early days of the electrical business,
founded in 1926, and continues to be an industry leader in
philanthropic involvement and community activity. Irby is also part
of the Sonepar family of operating companies, consisting of the
finest locally managed electrical and industrial distributors
throughout the United States. Sonepar is the world leader in
Performs manual and clerical duties related to shipping, receiving,
inspecting, storing, issuing and delivering a variety of materials,
equipment and supplies.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
* Ability to load, unload, and move materials within or near work
site by performing the following duties.
* Conveys materials from storage or work sites to designated area
per Sales Ticket.
* If the merchandise listed on the Sales Ticket is not in stock,
check with the writer of the ticket before backordering. Also,
check the Special Order area to see if we are holding item for a
* Reads work order or follows oral instructions to ascertain
materials or containers to be moved. Rechecks orders that someone
else has assembled as an additional service to our customer.
* Packages merchandise for shipment by common carrier. Appropriate
packaging will depend upon the merchandise involved.
* Loads materials into vehicles and installs strapping, bracing, or
padding to prevent shifting or damage in transit.
* Will be back up driver and deliver items if needed.
* Loads and unloads materials onto or from pallets, trays, racks,
and shelves by hand. Unloads incoming vehicles and prepare
necessary receiving documents after carefully counting the
merchandise. Handles freight claims as required.
* Attaches identifying tag or labels to materials or marks
information on cases, bales, or other containers.
* Lifts heavy objects by hand or with power hoist, and cleans work
area, machines, and equipment to assist machine operators.
* Learn to safely operate all the necessary equipment in work area.
Operates industrial truck or electric hoist to assist in loading or
moving materials and products.
* Familiarize yourself with all electrical merchandise and where it
is stored in the warehouse. Relocates or rearranges merchandise as
required. Fabricates and installs racks and shelving as
* Be courteous in all contact with company customers.
* Locks and unlocks doors as assigned. Assist in keeping all work
* Counts, weighs or measures incoming or outgoing items to compare
identifying information and variety against bills of lading,
invoices, orders or other records; examines incoming shipments for
damage or shortages and corresponds with shipper to rectify;
completes paperwork or forms required for documentation.
* Determines method of shipment utilizing knowledge of shipping
procedures, routes and rates; prepares materials for shipping by
weighing, packaging and stamping; prepares necessary shipping forms
such as bills of lading.
* Provides on the job training to lower level employees and
resolves problems utilizing knowledge of shipping/receiving/stock
* Operates material handling equipment such as forklifts, pallet
jacks, hand trucks or dollies to move stock or reorganize
* Participates in routing, counting and inspecting items while
loading and unloading trucks; delivers and returns items.
* Ensures proper documentation and package marking with appropriate
placards when moving hazardous materials.
* Fills orders and issues materials and supplies per requests;
documents transactions appropriately; prepares requisitions and
computes costs; keeps records of storeroom inventory.
* Participates in ordering or purchasing standard stock items, such
as recommending additions or deletions to standard stock items or
ordering replenishments within established procedures and
* To make deliveries to customer job sites or sites of business
while adhering to all safety procedures.
* Drivers must load and unload materials, make deliveries, and
return undelivered material to the warehouse.
* Checks quantities of goods received and obtain proper signatures
* Makes deliveries of merchandise to customers, other Irby branch
locations and/or to final destination. Projects a positive company
image when delivering directly to our customers.
* Assists with the loading and unloading of deliveries.
* Inspects truck for defects before and after trips and submits
report indicating truck condition. Be responsible for general care
and maintenance of the vehicle assigned to driver.
* Checks items assembled to make certain the proper items are being
delivered as per the sales ticket.
* Knowledge of electrical goods is important and the truck driver
is expected to acquire this knowledge for positive identification
of delivered items.
* Observes all safety rules and regulations, particularly the
hazards encountered with driving a truck. Maintains a good driving
record and be properly licensed as a commercial driver.
* Understands and abides by the Federal Highway Administration
Rules and Regulations for Interstate drivers where applicable.
Maintains driver log according to D.O.T. regulations.
* Keeps accurate records and submits expense reports for
reimbursement of expenditures as required.
* Have a good working knowledge of the delivery area served.
* Schedules all necessary deliveries and pick-ups of materials and
packages for company using the most efficient and effective
* Basic computer skills to be able to navigate within Irby
Inventory Operating Systems
* Knowledge of automated or computerized system operation.
* Knowledge of record keeping practices.
* Knowledge of safety practices.
* Skill in lifting heavy packages and objects.
* Skill in operating forklift or other materials handling
* Skill in operating large vehicles in tight and congested
* Knowledge of shipping and receiving practices.
* Knowledge of Company policies and procedures.
* Skill in organizing and prioritizing personnel and work
* Ability to effectively communicate.
* Knowledge of branch product lines.
* Two to three years related experience and/or training; or
equivalent combination of education and experience.
* While performing the duties of this job, the employee is
frequently required to stand. The employee must occasionally lift
and/or move up to 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by
this job include close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision,
depth perception and ability to adjust focus.
* Typical environments include offices, light industrial,
commercial, utility and manufacturing. The noise level in the work
environment is usually moderate.
Keywords: Irby Electric Supply, Decatur , Material Handler/ Driver, Professions , Decatur, Alabama
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!